Monday, October 27, 2008

Sophie's sweater


Look closely. If you want, look back a few weeks. Yes, this is the sweater for Emma. Once the collar went on, it no longer fit over her head. I think I took the collar apart about three times. Still, too tight. Something to do with binding off. My friendly neighborhood yarn shop people told me to look into another style of binding off (I can't remember what it is called now) - for a binding that is more stretchy. I will try to remember that for next time. Since this sweater so kindly fits Sophie, it will stay as is. And, I am hard at work on a sweater for Emma, one size bigger. Part of the trouble was the sizing for this sweater. I should have gone up a size. But, no worries - we are back on track. I also found a great sweater pattern for myself. I just need to find the right yarn...

1 comment:

Sally said...

I too have trouble with binding off too tightly. I have found if I go up as much as 3 to 4 needle sizes that sometimes helps. If I'm knitting on size 5 needles I will bind off with a size 8 or 9. Also the "half-hitch (sewn) bind off" helps a great deal. It has much more give without being sloppy.