
It took a lot of time to get the fabric picked out, ordered, delivered, washed, ironed, pinned to the pattern pieces, cut out, sewn together, and hemmed. The final product was cute. On me, not so much. The pattern is from a Japanese sewing book - this one. I love the patterns that I have used from books for the girls. I love the results. I decided to give a mama size item a try. It seemed like a good idea, and the fabric is really nice. It was purchased from Superbuzzy using a Christmas gift certificate from my brother and sister -in-law. Love it, thank you. Anyhow, I put on the dress... just not good. The shoulders had a little too much of a Star Trek look for me. So, I took out the stitching at the shoulders with the intention of cutting them back to make them a little more strappy is width. I tried it on again, and still - was not happy with the results. So, now what do you do? If you are me, you chop off the upper section and convert it to an A-line skirt with side zipper and lining. Perfect - well, except that I am still working on it and the weather is too crummy for wearing such a thing anyhow. Otherwise, I am so happy with this decision and ready to make another dress from the pattern someday soon... I already have my eyes on one I like. I will show you the skirt real soon though, spring break is almost over!
The problem with the pattern for me: this book has patterns in two sizes, medium and large. Usually, in patterns I need a medium so I made a medium. It's a baggy dress, how could I go wrong? Well, the chest is very small and did not fit well (also, I think I am broader-shouldered than what is accomodated for in a medium). I think I need to trace the large chest, and medium everything else.
We are planning out our garden this weekend, and Andy hopes to get more rock to finish one of the beds. The girls need to get haircuts. I need to find some quiet time... of course!
No comments:
Post a Comment