Thursday, March 19, 2009

spring wardrobe










I have been working on some things for the girls for spring. Emma is easy because she really likes skirts. The hardest part is picking out fabrics that we both like. I rarely take her to the fabric store with me - she would immediately pick out something not quite right... like hot pink satin, or something. Anyhow, I made her one of these skirts for her birthday, you may remember it - and she does wear it now and likes it a lot. Since the pattern worked so well, I decided to try it again. This time with purple - and again, success. So, this is ruffle skirt number 2. I still need to try this in Sophie's size.

The other recent addition to Emma's wardrobe is this tunic from an etsy pattern - Leila and Ben's Sweet Little Dress. I love it. However - I initially made the dress for her, following the pattern and I didn't like the muu-muu effect it was having. So, I cut off about four inches and added some trim and now she has a very cute tunic. Emma calls it a bothnic. Here is why (you will be so impressed by how smart she is)... This garment started out as a dress, but then it became a tunic - so, it's a "bothnic" - both a dress and a tunic. I love her logic. I am certain that I used some of it when I was a kid too.

Next up on the sewing list - something from below.

A skirt for mama
Kitchen curtains
A bothnic for Sophie (update: finished, hopefully a photograph the next time she wears it)
A summer bag for mama

And, I really wish I had something to knit right now. But, I just don't, and even though there are several things I want to knit - I don't have the yarn, haven't been to a yarn shop in a while, and I can't decide which project to start first. I'm sure I will get to something soon though... something small that I can work on in the backyard while the girls play (we're getting closer, right?).

One last thing - Emma and Sophie had their last gymnastics classes this week. We are hoping to get into the spring sessions in a couple of weeks, but we are stuck on a waitlist for now. Sophie can walk the entire length of the balance beam and jump off at the end - impressing many a mama at the class. Emma has become so much braver these days - she hangs upside down on the bar and lets go with her hands to touch the ground. Very brave!

No comments: