Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I've got an inkling...


...about this girl.

She is scheduled to have allergy testing Monday morning.

We noticed that her big coughing period last summer was just after swim lessons at the indoor pool. She didn't go back to a pool until February for a birthday party and it happened again. So, we have been a bit suspicious for a while, but not sure. This week she developed either a cold or allergies, and some coughing. But, we started her on Flovent right away and coupled with a humidifier at night, she has been sleeping just fine.

Then yesterday happened. I had an appointment for a haircut. The girls were approved to come with me, so I packed them and some goodies and we went. About 20 minutes after getting to the salon, Emma went into a panicky coughing fit similar to what I experienced in my classroom before I was diagnosed with asthma. She couldn't stop coughing and she was really upset. I wasn't able to set her up with the inhaler right away - she just coughed and coughed. I asked her to try to calm down so that she could take the inhaler, she did, and then cried for several minutes. Within about 20 minutes of this, she was fine. By the time we were home again, it seemed as though she had completely forgotten the whole thing. But, even with the continuous dosing of Flovent over several days, and the added albuterol Emma still woke up to constant coughing in the wee hours of the morning. Oh, and our humidifier broke last night. At one time, we had two fancy humidifiers but both have gone out of commission on us. So much for fancy humidifiers, eh?
So, we are going to do the testing and see what happens. I'll let you know...

No comments: