Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Japanese sewing patterns


They make me crazy. I cannot read Japanese patterns, so it really befuddles me as to why I decided to buy a sewing book in Japanese last year (I have since bought two more). I do have the good fortune of having a friend who does read Japanese and sews as well (this is her etsy shop), and she so kindly helped me out. That was how Emma's old blue flower skirt came about, though it was a little messy as this pattern used a few new-to-me techniques.This is my second time using this pattern, and now I love it. I think the skirt has a much more finished look and it's really easy, now that I get it.
This skirt may not be finished. Emma and I have discussed some options - a flower ribbon trim at the bottom, a pocket, a plain cream ribbon trim, or some cream colored crochet flowers sewn along the bottom hemline. I also thought some old doilies would be cute along the bottom. We are thoroughly inspired by this skirt.

No comments: