

Sophie lost her Elsa doll last Thursday. She went to preschool in her backpack, and that is the last time I saw her. They don't get into their backpacks during the day, and we checked. We also checked New Seasons twice and the bookstore twice - that was our day. Sophie has been handling it pretty well - she used one of Emma's dolls to sleep with the first night. She used a teddy bear and she even used her Olivia doll a few nights. But last night was different. Sophie's words: "Mom, I really want you to make me a new Elsa doll to snuggle with. I don' t have anything for snuggling. And, I want her to look just the same as the real Elsa. Okay?" It was so sweet and heartbreaking that as soon as the girls were tucked in to bed, I went to the sewing room to dig out the supplies. I always knew that I had extra Elsa fabrics and would be able to recreate her if needed. What I didn't count on was Sophie's attention to detail.
I finished Elsa II last night and tucked her into Sophie's arms after she went potty. This morning, I imagined Sophie was coming to tell me how good it is to have an Elsa again. Or "thanks, mom" or something. But this is what I got:
"Mom, there was a new Elsa in my bed this morning. Her mouth isn't the same. Her hair is the wrong color. The real Elsa has darker hair. And, her cheeks are different. But her fabrics are the same, I know that. And mom, she's not as mushy. But, if we find my old Elsa then I will have two and that will be fun. But, she's different."
The new Elsa is laying on the floor in Sophie's bedroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment