Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sewing for Summer

Well, I can't say that I have spent very much time with the sewing machine or serger lately, but I do have a couple finished projects, which is nice.
The first to be tackled (and so fast, I cut pieces for four at once and sewed them assembly line style) was summer totes for teachers (and one for me). They are reversible, and have a button closer. We gave one to Sophie's teacher, Emma's teacher, the librarian at Emma's school and the classroom aid from her class. Oops, I guess that means that I cut out five bags. I really love these bags, and have used mine so much, already. There was a bag at Gap that I liked alot (but $15, and I just don't like to buy accessories), so I modeled mine after that one.


The next finished project is Emma's ruffle shirt. It is made using a pattern from Stitch magazine (now a free download at Oliver + S). It was actually much more time consuming than I had imagined, I suppose due to lots of little steps. But, I like it and it wasn't hard - however, Miss Emma does not like it and I had to work really hard to get it on her and take two lovely pictures. I will admit that the ruffles really make it look like she is swimming in it. I've decided not to make one for Sophie for now. Maybe later though...


Lastly, my serger proved itself in the making of my skirt. But, I must take a minute to say a lot of thank you's to the following...
*Sew Mama Sew, for the little tutorial they posted recently on sewing with knits
*1/2" lite Steam-a-Seam 2, for hems
*My new twin needle for stretch, 4mm
*The book "Sew Liberated" and it's author (the book was my guide for the skirt pattern, the author, Meg has the nice tutorial on sew mama sew.
*Cotton/Bamboo knit fabric, I am wearing the skirt now, and it's awesome comfortable.
*My husband, for the serger and for humoring me and my desire to sew and make.
*Last, but not least - the girls, for playing so nicely this morning while I tackled the hem (for me, the most dreaded part using any fabric).
So, I made a skirt, using knit fabric, with a fold over waist and a real hem. And, it's gorgeous (though, I could have made the waistband a little narrower). I love the fabric, the cut, the color. It's great. And, I am a little less frightened of knits and a little more confident with my serger (though the fact that it cuts off excess fabric as you sew is a little frightening). The skirt photo will come later.

The most impressive part is that aside from the ruffle shirt (which took me a lot of time over many weeks), the projects were all very quick (I cut out the skirt pieces yesterday afternoon and I am wearing a finished skirt right now). Love that.

2 comments:

Jacqui said...

Isn't it awful when you spend so much time on something for your child and they hate it? I totally sympthise! I have that pattern and was planning on trying it for our upcoming summer, I'll be crossing fingers and toes for a good reception. One thing I did wonder about trying was doing it in a knit, my daughter had a very similar top made in a knit this summer past and she adored it. The edges of the ruffles were just finished with the very thin edging the overlockers will do, is it called rolled hem? I can't remember. But it reduces the bulk of the ruffles a bit and made them rufflier which always appeals to little girls :)

Rebekah.N said...

Anyone need any graphic design or blog design hit me up rebekah.newby@gmail.com