Monday, August 23, 2010

Pillows for thinking



These pillows were made out of an effort to not let fabric be wasted. They are 24" square pillows. I had originally bought this fabric for some curtains (not so keen on that idea and the color was really tough to match for painting sake, etc.) and then we changed our minds. But curtains takes a lot of fabric and I didn't know what I was going to do with this purchased, washed, cut fabric. The idea came to me to make these most recently when we were painting the playroom/office/dining room a really lovely tomato sauce red called Sangria (Miller Paints). The room has been cleared of all toys and is now just a swinging-tumbling-jumping-sitting sort of room. It needed pillows.

I told the girls that these pillows are called "sitting and thinking pillows" and it seems to be that they are fighting that particular use. But the girls jump on them, lay on them, throw them at each other once or twice and other such stuff that 4 and 6 year old girls like to do.

The pillows were super simple. Two squares each (25" squares for these 24" pillows). Install zipper first. Serge other three sides while the zipper is zipped (this is so fast on the serger, I literally made one pillow from start to finish while the girls changed into jammies, went potty and brushed their teeth). Use gap at zipper end to unzip then carefully sew gaps closed. Stuff with perfectly sized pillow insert and zip closed. Voila!

1 comment:

Barbie said...

The color of the room looks wonderful. Where are the toys?

Sophie is so pretty in that picture.