Sunday, May 8, 2011
Sewing School
It's been over a month since I last posted on this blog. Oops - not sure what happened there. I guess we have just been really busy. It's true. So, it's time to play catch up, and I was thinking this would be a perfect place to start. Sewing school currently has ten students. All girls, seven 7-year olds and three 5-year olds. Our last session was on Friday, and the girls made their first stuffies. They drew their own design, colored it wtih crayons, sewed it to a piece of felt and stuffed it. This is Emma's Georgia O'Keefe inspired pillow (she learned about O'Keefe last year during our art week in kindergarten and she still makes O'Keefe flowers regularly). She also made a little kitten and a hamster (not sure where those are hiding). We have had five sewing sessions now and the girls are really doing well. I noticed this last session that once they have the instructions, they really work on there own with the sewing part. They thread their own needles, tie a knot at one end and go to work. Emma likes to have me add a few stitches to all of her work (some more than others). The girls have made a needle case, a pin cushion, a bookmark, a bag and now a stuffie. I love it. We won't meet again until after school is out, but I have plans for our next few projects already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment