I found this dress on the Garnet Hill website a few weeks back. I loved this long, navy blue knit dress with cap sleeves but it was $88. Really, that is not the most expensive dress, and it probably isn't an outrageous price for the dress either. But - I have a sewing machine and I'm not afraid to use it. Usually, the problem for me is that I will see something I really love but I can't find a pattern to get me there. I am not a do-it-yourself without a pattern kind of girl either.
But this time, I was in luck. I found a $2 pattern at JoAnn's (McCall's 6070) and I bought really nice bamboo knit fabric from Fabric Depot with my 40% off coupon and ended up making this somewhat of a "knock-off" for about $20. That is a great price and the dress is unbelievably comfortable (I'm wearing it right now, but I still need to hem it and I want to tack the front together for my own sake).
The details are as follows:
Dress I loved - this one from Garnet Hill.
Pattern I used - this one from McCalls.
Reaction from the girls - "ooh, mom is getting all fancy on us".
Reaction from Andy - priceless.
If the sun comes out this week, I will most definitely be wearing it and I will make certain that there is a picture of it here soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment