Tuesday, August 26, 2008

For the love of books...


I have to say that I have always loved curling up to a good book on a cold winter night. The rest of the year is pretty great for reading too, but those cold nights are the best. Emma took to reading immediately and would ask us to read book after book to no end. We would go through as many as twenty or more books in a single session. She still loves good books and has some favorites. I have always been very picky about the books in our house - I avoid Disney most of the time, I prefer the classics like "Corduroy", by Don Freeman and "Caps for Sale", by Esphyr Slobodkina. There are also many great new books in our collection like "A Seed is Sleepy", by Diana Hutts Aston. We love the "Pirate" books by Melinda Long and currently believe that Kevin Henkes can do no wrong.
So, when Sophie came along I could hardly wait to read to her as well. I was looking forward to the days that she would sit and read to me as Emma does now. I wanted to know which books would be the ones that she asked for over and over again. Would any of them be the same as Emma's? But, she didn't like books. She would tear them from my hands and toss them aside. She would get upset and cry or just crawl away. We could sometimes read to her at night while she lay in her crib. She at least couldn't tear the books from our hands. It was very heartbreaking for me. I wondered what it would mean for her learning. Is this an early sign that she won't be smart? I know that a love of reading isn't essential for a love of learning, but it's pretty important.
Now the good news. Just a couple months ago, Sophie started really enjoying reading. She would ask for the same books every night. She paid attention and wanted to hear them over again. I have read "I Am a Bunny" by Ole Risom about seven times in one night. She takes books to bed with her and will sit up flipping through the pages long after the lights are out. Her short list of favorites: "Mama, Do You Love Me?", by Barbara M. Joosse, "This Little Light of Mine", by Porchlight Entertainment, and "The Rooster Struts", by Richard Scarry. She will let us read nearly anything to her, including her "Animal Baby" magazines that she gets in the mail. So, knowing this and how I felt it makes me sad to realize that many kids don't have books, don't have someone to read to them for so many different reasons, and don't have a love for the story. A couple years ago, I became aware of the "Read for the Record" event and attended a local event with the girls and a bunch of friends. It was put together by some pretty big "kid friendly" names from the Portland area and the kids loved it as did I. So, last year I looked for the event's return to discover there would not be one. Sadly, I imagine the same will be the case this year too. But, the event made me aware and gave me the opportunity to share and pass along this information to others. So, click on the button at the right. Buy a book. Attend an event. Whatever, but when you read to your kiddos tonight, know the good you are doing.

No comments: