


How the costumes were decided on:
Emma saw the idea for hers on Martha Stewart's website. She had been asking to be a rose for a while, but until we saw the rose garden idea, I had no idea what I was going to do.
For her costume, I hot glued silk flowers to her leotard, another flower was hot glued to a piece of stretchy knit fabric which I then turned into a headband, and finally using a piece of satin quilt binding, I made the rose petal skirt. Hers has a tie in the back. The leaves and petals are crepe like fabrics, cut and sewn, and turned. Then I just stacked them until I liked the layout.
Sophie asked to be a frog. All frog costumes that I could find are terribly masculine and bulky. Niether of those words describe Sophie, so I wanted to find something different. Once the idea for Emma's costume came to shape, I got the idea of making Sophie a frog sitting on a lilypad. I knit her hat with frog face. Then, I made her skirt in the same fashion as Emma's, except hers has a button at the back. I love how the skirts turned out. I wish I had a better green yarn for her hat. My hot glue gun is broken now. But, these girls looked great on Halloween. Best part - the skirts will fit them for a while, Sophie likes her hat and loves Emma's headband. The lesson learned - putting hot glue along the neckline of a stretchy garment eliminates the stretch, making it very difficult to get on!
Ribbet!
No comments:
Post a Comment