


Andy got a new hat last night. I finished weaving in the loose yarn just as he returned from his late night walk with Charley - too bad I wasn't moving a little faster, but he is about to head out for the morning walk with Charley and the hat is on his head!
This hat was made using the pattern "Whitney's 70's Ski Hat" from the Purl Bee blog. I chose this hat because even when I choose the softest of yarns for an Andy hat, he still finds it to be too scratchy, especially when he works up a little sweat on those walks. So, it had to be soft. This hat has a cashmere lining that is worked into the hat's construction making it practically seemless. This is a link to the pattern on the Purl Bee blog. I love that I got to make him this super luxurious hat lined in cashmere and learn a new technique, called the provisional cast-on. It involved making a chain of stitches using a crochet hook and then picking up stitches through the chain, allowing them to be worked again later on by using the crocheted stitches and working into the stitches again. It allowed the cashmere lining to be attached to the main hat without any actual sewing and it's beautiful on the inside. Anyhow, I used Cascade 220 yarn for the main hat and some Karabella cashmere for the lining. There is enough cashmere left over to make a second hat should Andy still feel the love by the end of the cold season - I can make another for next year. I posted the hat and the details for my version on ravelry, found here.
This hat was made using the pattern "Whitney's 70's Ski Hat" from the Purl Bee blog. I chose this hat because even when I choose the softest of yarns for an Andy hat, he still finds it to be too scratchy, especially when he works up a little sweat on those walks. So, it had to be soft. This hat has a cashmere lining that is worked into the hat's construction making it practically seemless. This is a link to the pattern on the Purl Bee blog. I love that I got to make him this super luxurious hat lined in cashmere and learn a new technique, called the provisional cast-on. It involved making a chain of stitches using a crochet hook and then picking up stitches through the chain, allowing them to be worked again later on by using the crocheted stitches and working into the stitches again. It allowed the cashmere lining to be attached to the main hat without any actual sewing and it's beautiful on the inside. Anyhow, I used Cascade 220 yarn for the main hat and some Karabella cashmere for the lining. There is enough cashmere left over to make a second hat should Andy still feel the love by the end of the cold season - I can make another for next year. I posted the hat and the details for my version on ravelry, found here.
On other knitting news, I am about two inches from completing Emma's shrug, but ran out of yarn. My gauge was slightly (ever so slightly) off and I think that may have caused me to run out of yarn. I have placed an order and the girl told me a week, so I should have a call anyday now. I hope. But, I think the size 6 was a little smallish and I am going to have that one be for Sophie and make Emma a size 8, same color as she is still pretty set on having a new white sweater. That's okay, Easter is coming up and I have plenty of time to finish another one for a special dress up day like Easter.
No comments:
Post a Comment