Monday, August 16, 2010

This tree was just a baby.

The trees in the Pacific Northwest can be massive. Sometimes we pay close attention to the trees on our hikes, and sometimes we know they are there but we just keep moving along without much thought about them. So, when we headed to the Salmon River Trail on Saturday for our hike, we paid extra attention to all that we saw. This tree that Emma and I attempted to measure was not even close to being the biggest tree we saw. These old trees always make me wonder about the people that saw them first. Who sat under this tree for a rest? There is a place in Ohio that I used to hike that always made me wonder about the native americans that roamed the land long before the trails were set, long before I ever made a hike there. I have these same thoughts when I hike in the Columbia River Gorge and in the Mt. Hood Wilderness, so close to my home. What events took place in this spot - it would be so interesting to know.

No comments: