Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lady Liberty

Emma announced that she wanted to be the Statue of Liberty about the second week of school. I assumed it was because they were learning about patriotism and that she would change her mind in a week. She didn't. After a brief search online, I discovered that I could buy her a costume, torch and crown for $76 plus shipping. No, thanks.

I discovered that yes, indeed there is even a pattern to sew the Statue of Liberty - bought it at JoAnn's for $1.49, went back to JoAnn's a few weeks later to purchase the required 8 yards of green fabric and went to work. Aside from the giant, unmanageable piece of fabric, it was a really easy pattern to sew. But, I didn't like the torch or the crown and Andy wanted to help out. So, I bought some wire, beads, and ribbon to make the crown (that was fun) and Emma and Andy went out to the garage with the orange tulle and green florist's foam cone that I bought, a flashlight and an old tupperware container to create the torch.

We went to a Halloween Party with our neighbors last night and Lady Liberty was a hit.



Up next... Sophie the beautiful butterfly.

1 comment:

urban craft said...

Oh my Liberty is such a HUGE hit! I love it. What a wonderful idea. Well done!