
The weather has not been my friend for oh, the last ten days maybe. It's just crazy - I can get through an entire Pacific Northwest winter filled with gray and dreariness, but as soon as the month of May hits my expectations soar! I want sun. I. need. sun. Yeah, that's me - I absorb sunshine and I feel like a whole different person for a solid four or five months. When I was a kid, we had a giant, fiberglass (ish) above ground pool in our backyard. We would spend hours of our weekends laying out in the sun burning, tanning, sweating... it was a midwest tradition. By no means was this just my family. Everyone did it. Now, we spend all our time worrying about how much sunscreen we need. What a serious bummer. I read so many great books while laying poolside as a kid. My mom actually is one of those people who tanned in Crisco. She also used reflectors for her face. And, my step-dad had a shiny silver foil sweatsuit that he actually went out to sweat in. I think he wore it while he mowed the lawn. Ewww!
Anyhow, we had a nice long weekend and I was really looking forward to having the whole family working in the backyard (still so much to be done) but it was gray, and dreary, and so wet. Andy did manage to get the grass seed down and repair the front yard irrigation system. Did I mention that we planted four artichoke plants out front? My family LOVES artichokes - even Sophie dips her own petals and eats the meat right off. Sadly, this is not something I do with them. I just watch in amazement and pure joy.
So, the weather has not improved for today, nor is it expected to improve until the weekend. I read Soulemama this morning and I am completely inspired to interview my girls today. Since it looks like music class may be cancelled, this is a real possibility. I will get back to you on that.
One last note, I have been inspired to make my own labels for the dresses and other projects that I create. I read many a blogger's info about their own attempts and decided to work it out for myself. I will be back this week with the details, the sources, and some examples of mine doing their job. So far, I am really happy with the process and the results.
(this picture is a couple weeks past due, but it is such a happy moment - the girls are trying out their new swingset for the first time, and Andy is relishing a little moment of pleasure after all of his hard work. The girls just love being on the swings.).
No comments:
Post a Comment